Finding hi speed internet in rural Muskoka and Parry Sound can be a challange compared to southern Ontario. Fiber optic cable just does't exist yet in many regions and in this day and age it's all but a nesessity for many people. At our farm in Magnetawan we find that speeds tend to slow down in the summer with the added bandwidth used by summer residents. With this in mind we've put together some pointers that should be helpful.
1. If you're searching for real estate in cottage country, check out the cell signal on the property. Bell and Rogers use different towers and the areas they cover are not always the same so the High-speed hubs that have become so popular may not all work properly. The plans for 4G / LTE hubs and turbo sticks are constantly changing, you can check out Bells current plans here.
2. An alternative to hubs is Vianet which uses the cell towers to deliver wireless in the country. They will send someone out to ensure you are in an area that's covered but generally speaking you need to have a clear line of site to the nearest cell tower. They offer unlimited downloads which is great if, like us, you have a lot of kids! Check out their current pricing and availability here.
3. Another great option is literally called Cottage Country Internet out of Minden. They offer a variety of plans with speeds up to 7mbs and have a large coverage area. Their website offers a form which, after you fill it out, will show you the coverage for a particular property which is very helpful. You can find the website here.
4. Xplorenet rural hi speed covers most of the Parry Sound and Muskoka areas with packages that start at $69.99 / month for 10 GB and go to $89.99 / month for 50 GB. The Xplorenet site can be found here for more information.
5. Interactivenorth offers a variety of internet packages for both residential and business applications including a "Boathouse" plan. They have a form to fill out on-line to find out the services that are covered in your area. Phone 855 765 6800.