Great Winter Activities in Muskoka's Cottage Country
Blog by John & Bonnie Fincham, Brokers | January 20th, 2014
1. The Ice Trail at Arrowhead Provincial Park. Arrowhead Provincial Park is located just minutes north of Huntsville and features numerous winter activities including skiing, snowshoeing, tubing, and skating. One of their most popular winter attractions is the Ice Trail. This 1.3 kilometre skating "rink" winds through the trails of Arrowhead. Rental skates are available. For more information call Arrowhead at 705-789-5107.
2. Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Trails. This is an excellent year for snowmobiling! To snowmobile legally on an OFSC trail, you will need to do some homework, including purchasing a trail permit, insurance, and registering your sled. The current trail conditions can be viewed on the OFSC website. One of the trails goes through our farm in Magnetawan and I can say that it's in great shape and has an excellent base.
3. Winter Camping at Algonquin Provincial Park. The Mew Lake Campground at Algonquin is available year round for camping! There are seven yurts (available by reservation only), a winterized comfort station, and a skating rink nearby. Many trails are open for hiking and snowshoeing. There are several groomed trails available for cross-country skiing. Permits are purchased at either the East Gate or the West Gate.
4. Dogsledding with Chocpaw. Chocpaw is the largest provider of dog sled expeditions in all of Canada! It is located in South River, about three and a half hours north of the GTA. There are various programs and expeditions available, from single day trips to a ten day expedition. Expeditions take you through beautiful Algonquin Park with stops for wildlife and scenery. Lunch is provided on the trail. For more information, visit the Chocpaw website or call 705-386-0344.
5. Cross Country Skiing with Georgian Nordic. Georgian Nordic Ski & Canoe offers a whole host of programs and trails located just outside of Parry Sound throughout the winter. Day passes and seasonal memberships are available. Equipment may be rented on site. Ski Trail Access is located on Nine Mile Lake Road, just off Highway 124 just outside Parry Sound. Current trail conditions are available. To book a lesson or for more information, call 705-746-5067.
By John Fincham Google